Introduction to Programming Using Java, Sixth Edition
- January 4, 2014 -- Version 6.0.3 is released, with more small error fixes (many, once again,
from Mark Cristy). I have also added, experimentally, EPUB and MOBI ebook versions of the text, available among
the download links at the bottom of the index page.
- May 17, 2013 -- Version 6.0.2 is released, with fixes for many small, mostly typographical
errors. Again, thanks to readers who sent in error reports, especially Mark Christy and
John Ganci, who found many errors.
- May 17, 2013 -- The labs for my latest version of Introductory Programming
are now on line at http://math.hws.edu/eck/cs124,
with a number of new labs for this version of the course. (By the way, labs for older versions of
the course -- such as those from
Fall 2009, and
Spring 2006 --
are still available.)
- July 25, 2012 -- Version 6.0.1 is released. This is a very minor upgrade,
fixing about 75 typographical errors and 3 small errors in sample program code. (The
worst error was a reversal of the parameters data and newdata in a call
to System.arraycopy() in Section 7.4.2.) The printed versions at lulu.com have
not been updated. Thanks to readers who sent in error reports!
- July 24, 2012 -- Note: The web sites for the two-course
sequence that I teach from this book (http://math.hws.edu/eck/cs124
now contain the 2011--2012 version of those courses, including a number of labs that were
new this year.
- July 18, 2011 -- The applet in Exercise 3.7 was broken. It has been fixed
(without changing the book's version number).
- June 1, 2011 -- Version 6.0 is released. The sixth edition adds a new
chapter on threads and multiprocessing and some coverage of new features of Java 6
and Java 7. Thanks to many readers who wrote with suggestions and error reports,
especially to Jeff Wexler who sent a large numbers of corrections.
- May 15, 2010 -- I have finished teaching CPSC 225: Intermediate Programming,
based on the Chapters 8 through 13 of this book. The web site for that course can be
found at http://math.hws.edu/eck/cs225.
Also available is http://math.hws.edu/eck/cs124,
the web site for a course based on Chapters 1 thorugh 7. I will be teacing CS124 again this
Fall at Hobart and William Smith Colleges.
- Older news can be found in the
news page for the previous edition.