CPSC 424: Introduction to Computer Graphics
Department of Mathematics and Computer Science Hobart and William Smith Colleges Fall, 2017. Instructor: David J. Eck (firstname.lastname@example.org) Monday, Wednesday, Friday, 12:20–1:15 PM. Room Gulick 206A. (Except for several Mondays in Rosenberg 009.) Lab: Thursday, 11:55–1:20. Room Rosenberg 009. Course Handout: http://math.hws.edu/eck/courses/cpsc424_f17.html
|Lab 1, August 31
|Lab 2, September 7
HTML Canvas Graphics
|Lab 3, September 14
|September 12: Gimp 1||September 19: Gimp 2||September 26: Inkscape|
- Textbook for the course: http://math.hws.edu/graphicsbook
- Java APIs: Java 8 JOGL
- OpenGL 1.1: Reference Manual Programming Guide GLUT
- Three.js: Web Site API Stemkowski's Examples
- WebGL: Reference Card (PDF) WebGL Spec OpenGL ES 2.0 Spec (PDF) GLSL Spec (PDF)
- Programming Environments: JDK Download Eclipse Komodo Edit
- Graphics Programs: Gimp Inkscape Blender
First Week: August 28 and 30; September 1
Welcome to the course!
The reading for the week is Chapter 1 and the first three sections of Chapter 2. Chapter 1 is a short overview of computer graphics. You should not expect to understand everything in it, but it will give you an idea of what will be covered in the course. Chapter 2 covers two-dimensional graphics, using several graphics systems.
When you read the book, you should pay some attention to the interactive demos, which are meant to help the reader understant the concepts better. You can find them in the web-site version of the book. There are links to the demos in the linked PDF version.